Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Greetings; About the name

Hi! Thanks for reading. I'm Mike. This is weird. Blogging and such. So.

Greetings! A little about me: Three years ago I started working in a really good little restaurant with a world-class wine program. I'd never worked in a restaurant before; I got the job on an unknown proportion of chutzpa and the fact that I'd studied wine at BU for a year. I worked there for two-and-a-half years and had a great time. In that time I had the opportunity to wear several different metaphorical hats (real hats not being allowed on the floor) including Wine Manager and General Manager. However, my favorite role was that of Staff Wine Educator. For two years, I taught a weekly class to our great service staff about wine: regions, making, grapes, tasting, pairing. For those who have not had the experience of teaching (what are you waiting for?), it is a universal truth that one learns material much more completely when one is preparing to teach it. So, between wine class, frequent tastings with cool sales guys, and interaction with the kitchen and guests of the restaurant, I learned some stuff about wine and, as I have already mentioned, had a great time.
I moved on from the restaurant biz in search of a gig that would offer a schedule that was a tad more compatible with that of my family, but still feel very connected to the wine world. It was suggested to me that blogging about wine would be a good way to maintain that connection, and here we are! Therefore, this blog is dedicated to David, whose idea it was in the first place.

I recently had a great vacation in California. One of the really special things we got to do was drink some wine with Bill Cadman, owner and winemaker of Tulocay Winery. He's hilarious, and his wine is killer, but that's the next entry. He was asking Rebecca and I what we do. I told him that I was on the precipice, though I did not use the word "precipice" at the time, of a new career path in the Jewish community. He said: "klezmer and cabernet!" And there you have it.

Cheers!

10 comments:

  1. mazel tov! great idea and great name. can't wait to read more

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start, love the name. I hope that the writing brings you great joy and that your glass is always half full.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so much fun! I love that you are doing this. L'Chaim!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll follow yours if you follow mine...

    Seriously, though, I'm stoked to read what you have to say, especially about wine, an area I could always use some more knowledge in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being the annoying guy who corrected your grammar on your first post, I am going to help with your second post, too. I assume that the little squiggly thing above the n you were refering to is this - ñ. (I confess, i got this from google, I'm really not this smart.) The "sguiggly line" is known as a tilde.
    To type this, hold down ALT while typing 0241 on your numeric keypad. This will work in any program and you can type accented characters using ANY keyboard as long as you know the Alt Codes. To use other accented characters go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Character Map; click on the character you want to use and its code is displayed in the bottom right hand corner.

    This is a great way to get me to read about your trips and your wines!

    I hope that one of these days you'll explain the difference between Concord Grape Wine (aka Manny, or Maneschewitz, if you're not into the whole brevity thing) and port. I know a good Tawny when I have one. . . but the cheap stuff versus Manny. . . I'll take Manny any day (or shabbos!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ben - that is a perfect topic for this thing. I will ABSOLUTELY write about that. The wine. Not the ALT codes. But thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved reading about the Tenbrinks. You're making me really want to do a wine tour. Your writing is incredibly witty, quick and fun! It is a joy to follow your musings and to learn while I'm at it.

    Can I have some paella?

    ReplyDelete
  9. we'd love to have you over for paella, and we might even keep the pig on the side so as not to contaminate =)

    ReplyDelete